- Read Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death"
- Complete handout on "Creating Suspense"
Tuesday - Symbolism and Allegory
- Discuss "The Masque of the Red Death" as an allegory, discussing the symbolism throughout the tale.
- Complete "Discussion Questions" that accompany the story.
- Commit to the novel you have chosen for your final parallel reading.
Wednesday - Writer's Notebook: "Using the handout, 'Creating Suspense,' analyze how Edgar Allan Poe uses imagery, foreshadowing, symbolism, and setting to create suspense in 'Masque of the Red Death.'"
- "The Masque of the Red Death" or "Rappacini's Daughter"
Thursday - The Unreliable Narrator
- Read, analyze, and annotate "My Last Duchess," by Robert Browning.
Friday - Writer's Notebook: "Friday Freewrite!!"
- Continue analysis of "My Last Duchess"